This post most likely contains affiliate links to things such as tours, accommodation, Amazon associates and products. This means when you use the link I may receive a small commission at no additional charge to you, this helps to keep this blog going.
Welcome to a new series on Yoko Meshi! This idea is something I have wanted to do for ages and hopefully, it will now become a regular thing – recipes inspired by my travels. Further, then that, they will be simple to follow and quick meals that will help to fulfil your wanderlust until your next trip. Asian food obviously features a lot on Yoko Meshi so expect Eastern food to feature heavily, but there will be dishes from all over the world and of course, they will all be vegetarian! First up: An easy vegetarian Thai green curry.
Preparation time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients (Serves 4-6):
50g Mae Ploy Green Curry Paste (available from Wing Yip and other Asian supermarkets)
450ml Coconut milk
2 Red Thai Chillies
5 Small Thai Eggplant (available at Asian supermarkets or swap for Courgette)
2 Tsp palm sugar (Not a product or produced in the same way as palm oil)
10 Basil Leaves
4 Lime leaves
2 Tbsp Vegetable oil
If creating your own curry paste instead of Mae Ploy you will need:
4 Green chillies
2 Lemon Grass
Using a pestle and mortar, crush and mix together until a green paste is formed.
– Put a medium sized pan on medium heat, add oil and curry paste, stir until fragrant.
– Reduce the heat, gradually add small amounts of coconut oil then stir until a film of green oil surfaces.
– When the curry starts to boil, add the Tofu and the lime leaves.
– Cook for 10 minutes until Tofu is moderately firm and then add the vegetables.
– Add salt, sugar, red chillies and basil, then stir for a minute over the heat to warm all through.
– Turn off heat and serve warm over hot rice or noodles.