Travelex: My dream holiday with Mission Rabies

goa mission rabies
With 2015 coming to an end it is time to start to thinking about what adventures 2016 will bring. I currently have a trip planned for the start of the year but nothing else decided and I have so many places I still want to visit; from Costa Rica, the Philippines, to Canada, the list is endless! However after much consideration my dream holiday would be one I have been thinking about for a long time – A working holiday to Goa with Mission Rabies.

missionrabies
Who are Mission Rabies?
Across the world, 100 children die of rabies every day.
Over 99% of cases of human rabies are caused by an infected dog bite. Once symptoms of the disease develop, it is always fatal. Rabies was set up by Veterinarian Luke Gamble with aim to eliminate rabies in 2030. Mission Rabies was launched in India – the rabies hotspot of the world – where a third of all rabies related death occur. Since September 2013 Mission Rabies have vaccinated over 100,000 dogs against rabies, educated nearly 200,000 children in the key messages of rabies risk reduction and sterilised over 25,000 dogs to humanely control the population.

vaccination drive - goa

Each mark indicates a dog vaccinated against rabies in Goa

Mission Rabies Volunteer
As a Veterinary Nurse Volunteer my trip would include; vaccinating street dogs, monitoring the anaesthesia of neuters and most importantly educating children how to safely interact with dogs to prevent bites. This trip would take place over an intense two weeks in Goa. Mission Rabies has also recently started a drive in Malawi, but as India has always been my dream place to explore Goa is a must.

mission rabies volunteer
Goa
Situated on the Southwestern region of India; Goa is India’s smallest state. Its long history as a Portuguese colony prior to 1961 provides an India culture intertwined with Portuguese influences such as 16th century churches and spice plantations. Next to the Arabian Sea it boasts a hot and humid climate for most of the year, with May being the hottest time to visit. Rich in golden beaches as well as beautiful flora and fauna Goa is fast becoming a travel hotspot in India.

goabeach
mission rabies dog
mission rabies cow
Would you ever consider a working holiday as your next trip?

All photo credit goes to Mission Rabies

This post is part of the Travelex #dreamholiday competition  which is open to anyone that lives in the UK.

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

Lucy Winyard
    December 22, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Sam buss

Mark Williams
    December 26, 2015 at 10:01 am

A very worthy cause. Hate seeing people or animals suffering. We are currently minding 14 rescue dogs in Bulgaria. Not always easy but very satisfying. Good luck.

Kinga
    December 26, 2015 at 10:17 am

It’s admirable what you will be doing! I didn’t know that India is so dangerous with rabies to be honest, it’s great that someone thought about that problem and there are people who care enough to want to change that.

Sam
      December 28, 2015 at 3:59 pm

thank you for the comment! Yes the guys at Mission Rabies are amazing and doing such great work!

Meg Jerrard
    December 26, 2015 at 10:00 pm

This sounds like such a fantastic cause – I had no idea that rabies was such a huge issue for children around the world. I knew there were problems in some countries with wild dog populations, though I didn’t stop to think about the implications of this.

I love taking on volunteering as a way to travel the world, and incorporating working holidays into our trips. I feel that’s the best way to make a difference, just little by little, as you make your way around the world.

Good on you for choosing such a worthwhile cause 🙂

Sam
      December 28, 2015 at 3:59 pm

thank you! I truly believe little bits of good can slowly start to help the world and everything/ everyone that lives on it!

The Bonfire Dream
    December 27, 2015 at 9:57 am

What you are doing is really inspiring. Unfortunately I am not in a position to go volunteering abroad for the following year and half, but then I cannot wait to make a difference in the world 😉 What you are doing is SO IMPORTANT. Please keep doing that, keep helping people and keep making the world a better place!

Sam
      December 28, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Thank you so much! such a lovely comment that has made my day 🙂

Arnie
    December 27, 2015 at 1:06 pm

This was a surprising revelation to me. I really had no idea that rabies was so epidemic around the world. This is such a worthy cause for you to be engaged with.

Sam
      December 28, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Thank you! It really isn’t as promoted as it should be! So I am doing everything I can to help spread the word about Mission Rabies

Vlad
    December 27, 2015 at 2:05 pm

I didn’t know that rabies can be deadly to humans. It sounds like an excellent cause and I wish you good luck, I think it’s wonderful what you’ll be doing! 🙂

Sam
      December 28, 2015 at 3:57 pm

thank you!

Mark Williams
    December 27, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Rabies is not the disease I would like to encounter. What a great challenge and very worthwhile. We are big dog fans and actually in the process of minding 14 rescue dogs in Bulgaria; And none of them have rabies.

Good luck with your venture and I look forward to hearing how it all went.

Sam