So before I lose you guys, I know holidays are for relaxing but that does not have to mean lying on a beach for a week, to be fair I think most of you on here are pretty active travellers anyway. It is not unheard of for DJ and myself to walk at least 20km a day on a city break but since our sunrise mountain climb in Indonesia last year, the hiking bug may have bitten slightly, I for one will never forget the sunrise we were treated to after our early morning trek. Next month, I will be spending two weeks outdoors in various game reserves in Port Elizabeth, while DJ will be taking various outdoor activities and climbs in the Lake District, but on researching for our next trip together I stumbled across Inntravel’s – ‘From the Eiger to the Matterhorn’ walking holiday, now forgive me for being ignorant but I did not know views like this existed in Europe and well now, I am slightly obsessed.
The reasons I want to partake in a Swiss Walking holiday:
- I do not think I am wrong to say that most of us take the wonder of nature for granted, I consciously aware I do, and it is something I am actively trying to work on. Imagine 14 days being completely surrounded by fresh air, green grass, wildlife and the company of the people you love most, sounds pretty great right? Why not even try turning off the wifi and fully embracing it all.
- I think we all know by now that I am not a gym bunny, the idea of running on a treadmill bores me to tears and my severe lack of coordination makes any form of aerobics out of question. My exercise is exploring somewhere new, and I will only do this by foot because I believe it is the best way. So just imagine doing this on alpine trails and deep valleys with lakes, forests and mountain views as the reward. Also, as the Eiger to the Matterhorn trail is self-guided you can take it all in your own time.
- Following on from my last point, my next point is Cheese and Chocolate. Imagine how much glorious swiss cheese and Lindt chocolate you can eat as a reward for burning off that many calories. Fun Fact: Before discovering just how beautiful the Swiss Alps are, my main reason for wanting to visit Switzerland was for cheese fondue.
- Panoramic views from the cable car to Grütschal, I know we shouldn’t travel for the Instagram shots but just imagine the views 360 views as you ascend to the aptly named Mountain View Trail before continuing along to Murren to your hotel for the evening. In my head, I am already imagining just how beautiful the night sky and stars would be there with minimal light pollution.
Sounds like quite the adventure doesn’t it? If this sounds like your cup of tea as well full details plus a number of other trips can be found here.
To get you in the mood and to ensure you have the correct hiking gear, the team at Inntravel have asked me to giveaway a Mammut Xeron Element Rucksack worth £55 to one of my lovely readers. You can enter using the form below –
You can enter using the form below –
Good luck and happy trekking!
Terms and conditions:
– Competition will run from 21/5/17 at 12am and end 10/6/17 at 12am GMT
– Competition is only open to residents of the UK only
– The prize is non-refundable and no cash alternative will be offered.
– The winner is chosen at random via rafflecopter.
– The winner will be contacted via email and will need to confirm their acceptance of the prize within 7 days of the competition ending.
This post is brought to you in collaboration with Inntravel